You are here

Employment Information for International Faculty

Thank you for your interest in working at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Please visit Human Resources’ website for information regarding employment opportunities.

The Academic Affairs Office in collaboration with the Office of Human Resources and the University’s immigration attorney facilitate the hiring of faculty on the H-1B visa. The individual wanting the University to sponsor an H1B visa candidate must first email the Department Head with the request. The Department Head would then need to forward the email to the Dean of your college for approval. The Dean would then submit the email request to Melissa Francis in the Provost's office. Melissa Francis will then send the approval back to the Department and at that point they can begin to engage with the attorney 

The H-1B Visa is a temporary work visa for non-U.S. workers. H-1B workers must be in an occupation that requires at least a bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent) at the entry level.
H-1B status is generally used for full-time, tenure-track faculty; academic researchers; research technicians; and professional staff.  H-1B visa holders or those applying for H-1B through the University should contact their department to ensure that the position meets the requirements for an H-1B petition.

In order to obtain H-1B status for an employee, the hiring department must document the appropriateness of the wages, the duties and responsibilities of the position, and the employee’s qualifications to fill that position.

General Requirements

  • This status is used for teachers, researchers, or administrators.  It is appropriate for tenure-track positions.
  • At least a Bachelor’s degree in a certain field (or fields) is required.
  • H status is very job-specific.  An H-1 amendment is required if the position changes.
  • H-1 must be on a full-time, paid appointment in order to maintain status.
  • The H application requires an approved Labor Condition Application from the Department of Labor and the salary must meet the Prevailing Wage.
  • H status is valid for up to six years.  H status may be obtained for three years initially, with a three-year extension or any lesser increment.
  • Dual intent applies to this status: it is possible to hold H status and apply for permanent residence at the same time.
  • It can be time-consuming (several months) to obtain, even if premium (expedited) processing is requested for an additional fee.
  • The annual limit (cap) does not apply to educational institutions.


  • Outside Employment
    • An H-1B employee may give occasional speeches and/or lectures at other institutions, conferences, etc. but may not receive compensation for those activities. 
    • An H-1B employee may not be employed (or paid) by any other employer, unless that employer has also obtained H-1 status for him/her.
  • Unauthorized Employment
    • Unauthorized employment consists of any service or labor performed by an employee for an employer within the U.S. that has not been authorized by USCIS.
    • Unauthorized employment may result in the termination of H-1B status.

Travel Outside the U.S.

  • When entering the U.S. from abroad, H-1B employees should be prepared to present several documents related to their H-1B status. (i.e. employment verification letter from department, paystubs, etc.)
  • H-1B employees must have their I-797 approval notice before traveling. 
  • H-1B employees who have applied for a change of status or who have an expired H-1B entry visa will need to make arrangements to apply for a new entry visa from abroad.
  • Applicants whose H-1B extension or change of status petitions are pending with USCIS are not recommended to travel internationally until those petitions have been approved.

When returning to the United States, please be prepared to present the following at the port of entry:

  • Valid passport: Your passport must be valid six months past the end date of your H status.
  • A valid H-1B visa stamp: Check your visa to make sure it will be valid on your intended reentry date. Also note the number of entries allowed on your visa.
  • A recent letter from your department which confirms your employment and salary
  • The original H-1B approval notice (I-797A or I-797B), which shows your H-1B approval.
  • A copy of the H-1B petition (Form I-129). If you do not have a copy, you can obtain it from your department.
  • A copy of the Labor Condition Application (LCA, or Form ETA 9035) filed with your most recent petition.
  • A copy of your most recent earnings statement
  • A copy of your diploma. If your major field is not stated on your diploma, also take a copy of your transcript.

Departure Information

General Information

  • Inform your department when your program ends and complete all necessary departure documents and procedures with them.
  • If you plan to move to another employer, you should have no gaps in your employment.

Grace Period

  • After the completion of your program, you have no grace period and must depart the U.S. immediately (unless you are at the end of your status and your I-94 includes a 10-day grace period).